Wednesday, April 20, 2011

School #3 - Tsunoe

Another day, another school, another different experience.

I was told that Tsunoe would be my best school, and that looks to be right. I only taught two periods today. First period was Yr 6, two classes together (80 kids, the classes were maxed out!). The class was great, the kids were enthusiastic, the teachers were enthusiastic. With 80 kids at once, it was amazing, they were super energetic, but not in a bad way, and there wasn't a single trouble-making kid. To the standard routine for Yr 6, we added a body alphabet activity. The kids had to form each letter with their bodies. There was a lot of laughter, that activity is a keeper!

2nd period was a welcome ceremony for the new year ones. The whole school was there to welcome them, and they were so cute! Each Yr.1 student was partnered with a Yr. 6 student, who is responsible for looking after the little one. At the end of the ceremony, I had to introduce myself to the school. I'm getting better at this, and after a few days teaching, was hardly fazed by standing in front of a sea of kids. In no time, I had the whole school shouting "hello", "Lucy" and "Australia. Unfortunately, I also gave away a good bit of the guessing part of my self-introduction for the Yr. 5 students.

Yr 5 was fun also. Again, I had both Yr. 5 classes together in the sJapanseseame period, again class size maxed out. To the standard self-introduction, and teaching the kids to introduce themselves, we added a rock paper scissors competition. I lost most of my matches, but that just made the kids happier. The kids had a bit of trouble quieting down, but again, no troublemakers, at least, not yet.

In general, the teachers were really friendly, to me and to each other, the environment was just wonderful. The principal and vice-principal really went out of the way to include me, and several teachers got reminded to speak English with me (not that I minded the Japanese, we tended to continue in mostly Japanese anyway). I think I'm really going to enjoy Tsunoe.

As an aside, the school is close to the Meiji chocolate factory. Meiji is the Japanese equivalent of Cadbury, and their chocolate is good. By close, I mean the wall of the factory is visible from the school, and I could smell chocolate in the corridors.

See the giant block of chocolate in the background? I am standing inside the school grounds. This is one happy Lucy!

Dave and I were chatting to some of the Yr. 2 students after the ceremony for the Yr. 1s. (Dave had come to check up on me and see how I'm going with the classes). Chatting in this case means answering questions that were asked of us while the children were literally bounding up and down! It turns out that the Yr. 2's are going on an excursion to the Meiji factory tomorrow. The kids invited me to come, but unfortunately, I had to explain that I was going to be teaching at a different school tomorrow. A visit to the factory is definitely on the agenda though!

1 comment:

  1. You should have got them to bring something from the excursion to class and explain it in english (and maybe share with you :P?. There is always room for chocolate in school. Especially if its towawrds the end of your period with them so someone else has to deal with the sugar rush

    ReplyDelete