Sunday, November 27, 2011

Ginkaku-ji and the Philosopher's Path

Hunter and I visited Ginkaku-ji back in September, but somehow I never got around to writing a post about it. Looking back through my photos today, I was reminded of this fact, and decided that I really should do something to remedy that, although my memories are now a little bit vague.

Ginkaku-ji, or the Silver Pavilion, was built to complement Kinkaku-ji, the Golden Pavilion, however, due to problems with expenses, the original plan to cover the pavilion with silver leaf was never carried out. Thus it is architecturally very similar to Kinkaku-ji, but much more subdued.





From Ginkaku-ji we found walked to the start of the Philosopher's Path. Apparently, it is exceptionally beautiful (and busy) during cherry blossom season, but in summer it was a little disappointing. A few interesting shops were dotted along the path, but the walk was nothing special to see, with many rather unsightly buildings also present.
However, adjacent to the path is a huge number of temples and shrines. We didn't have time to visit them all, but we picked a few to explore. Since I was too lazy to do a post in a proper time-frame, it's taking a bit of research to appropriately label the ones we visited, but hopefully it's correct.

Hōnen-in

 

Unknown Temple
We saw this one on the map and went for a look, but I can't find it now. However, I only photographed it from the road.

Eikan-dō Zenrin-ji
This temple had some really beautiful grounds and allowed for some lovely walks.




At any rate, we lots of shrines and temples, though unfortunately not all of them, not even all the major ones, but it was all our poor legs could handle.

No comments:

Post a Comment