Monday, August 22, 2011

You didn't tell me she was a blonde

Yesterday, I went with a couple of teachers from one of my schools to dress up as a Maiko, or trainee Geisha. When we got there, I heard one of the ladies comment, "You said she was a foreigner, but you didn't say she was a blonde". Nevertheless, with a wig, heavy make-up and a re-positioning of eyebrows, I was able to pass as a moderately convincing Maiko.



If you read my post about dressing up in yukata, you might remember that I complained that it was uncomfortable. Wearing a kimono effortlessly beat that for discomfort level. If you look at the belt, you can see that we were constrained from underarm to hip. Breathing was difficult, bending was impossible.The multiple layers were heavy and hot. The worst part though was the wig. It was heavy. Very heavy. By the time it came off, I had a nasty headache, and sore neck and shoulders. The girls who dress like this all day everyday (usually 15-20 year olds) must be very tough. The results, however, were pretty stunning, even if the resemblance to the usual Licy was very faint indeed.









No comments:

Post a Comment