Sunday, May 15, 2011

Rotten children

Internet has been down for a few days, so here is a slightly late update.

On Thursday, I went back to the school with the nasty year 6s. Firstly, I taught two classes of year 3s. They were absolutely gorgeous.

Then I taught 3 classes of year 6. They were not even remotely gorgeous. Even the class that had behaved well last time misbehaved badly. Given half an opportunity, they started talking, and getting them to stop was almost impossible. I think part of the problem was that I taught them in the reverse order to the last time, so last time, I learned what worked and what didn't a bit, and by the last class, I had some tactics. This time, I was on a different lesson, with different activities, so I needed, in a way to start learning tactics afresh. Activities that worked brilliantly at other schools just fell flat because of the incessant chatter. I started each class with explaining that teacher puts hands on head = students put hands on head and be quiet, but it simply didn't work, because several of the students flat out ignored me, and if they ignore me, I have no recourse, of which they are well aware.

Having said that, with the later classes, I was able to adapt the activities a little, and they worked better. The main key seems to be to keep them constantly doing something without a chance to start talking, as as soon as they start chattering, I've easily lost 5 minutes before I can get enough attention back to be able to proceed.

I have been told (by a teacher from another school) that in the area of this school is a "home for children with no parents". I'm not quite sure of what this is, but I think it might explain the higher number of delinquent children.

Another observation is that I have seen many kids like the Nampeidai ringleaders at other schools, the difference is that at other schools, the homeroom teachers don't take the rubbish, and the kid doesn't have a chance to get up a following of other kids to cause trouble. The homeroom teacher makes so much difference!

1 comment:

  1. Long time no speak! I'm a little bit behind so I'm going through last months updates now but wanted to fill you in on what I have found works.
    We have a similar situation with on of the year 6/7 classes. These kids are straight out dirty. Its like they work as a street gang I swear. One of the boys is a ring leader and when he starts its a domino effect. It get worse when there is a new aide or a substitute teacher is brought it (I must say sometime even the teacher doesnt help. Trust me when I say the regular teacher is pretty strong when he needs to be but they still put up a fight).
    Anyway, when it comes to kids listening I have found a few tricks to bring their attention bacak. Firstly, simply using clapping rythmns or singing a certain phrase (the year 3 classes I am occasionally with use "eye's here" which the students mimic). Just explain to the kids at the begining of the lesson that when they hear you clap/sing then they must immediately draw their attention to you and repeat it. This works best with classes below yr 4 I have discovered.
    The other suggestion I had was a bit more harsh. Again, at the beginning of each lesson remind the students that if the misbehave or become to distracted from the work ahead you will put a tally mark on the board. Each tally mark represents one minute they will be kept in at lunch/play time. It tends to work, especially if they know you will follow through.
    Well, I hope that help. I also hope you guys are having the time of your lives over there!
    Make sure you make time to miss me :P
    Love you both xox

    ReplyDelete