Sunday, May 15, 2011

A quiet day's (not) teaching

On Friday, I was supposed to teach 3 classes. In the end, due to poor communication between the person responsible for class scheduling, and the class teachers, I only taught one class. It was an excellent class, with an enthusiastic teacher, which always translates to keen and enthusiastic kids. However, I did feel a little put out that I was at the school all day, and only teaching one class.

I therefore spent a lot of time making materials. The alphabet flashcards were in very poor condition, so I created a new full set of A-Z and a-z. I created other flashcards, and laminated random things I discovered in the drawers that I thought could benefit from being laminated. I ran through an entire box of 100 sheets of laminate. I peeled magnets off the back of the old flashcards and re-used them, and then I ran through probably another 50 self-adhesive magnets. I labeled the backs of flashcards, and I numbered things. I ordered cards, sorted things, and planned ahead for several lessons. Except for the fact that I have extremely limited storage space at that school, I believe they now have the best set of English materials of any of my schools.

I was told that I would have a meeting with my coordinator after lunch, so I couldn't afford to get up and wander around, or find kids to play with. At 4:15, I finally saw him, and asked him about the meeting. He said later. I asked when. He laughed and told me to wait a bit. Then he disappeared. At 4:40, I found some of my year 5 teachers and had a quick meeting. Then, at 5:00, I left, without having had the meeting with that teacher.

Despite these problems, I do love that school, the teachers are very friendly and also good at their jobs, and it shows in the children being keen, energetic and responsive.

No comments:

Post a Comment