Monday, April 2, 2012

Home!

We're home again, except that it feels strange, not quite like home anymore. We flew in early yesterday morning, and were met at the airport by Dad, Val, Mum and Dave.

It feels really strange to be here. Everything is familiar, and yet not. I see a lone person and think "There's a Westerner!". Everything is so spacious to the point where I still feel uncomfortable at times, because there's just too much space. The people (on average) are huge, both tall and wide, and poorly dressed. I need to stifle the urge to speak Japanese to shop attendants, and not to say "sumimasen" as I squeeze past someone blocking my path. Australian accents sound so strong and coarse. I keep bowing. I have to stop myself from speaking slowly and gesturing. No doubt these effects will wear off soon enough, but it's unsettling how foreign (in many respects) home has become.



Note: I still have a few updates planned with things from last week that I didn't quite finish, so if you're interested, please check back.

No comments:

Post a Comment